Star Citizen is a space simulation game that Cloud Imperium Games developed on October 10, 2012. Players can pilot interstellar spacecraft, as well as participate in ground-based combat. It raised approximately $500 million for development, making it the highest crowdfunded project, and has over 2.2 million “citizens” registered to its website. In this article, we will discuss how to uninstall star citizen.
Whether you have been playing Star Citizen since nothing was in the game, or if you just got into it last week. You will someday want to uninstall and revert to where you started. There are a lot of reasons you may want to do this. Whether the game has a lot of problems or not, it can be pretty frustrating.
In this guide, I will be showing you how to uninstall Star Citizen completely. I’m doing this guide because of numerous posts on Reddit and the official RSI forum where users ask how to uninstall the game.
Causes of Uninstall Star Citizen
Star Citizen is a good game with great graphics and video, but it has many problems. The game is still in the alpha version and has not yet been released.
The Star Citizen game currently has many problems. Some players have even uninstalled the game. This game has a lot of potentials. It’s just that some problems make players angry.
Here are some of the most common causes of uninstalling star citizens:
Low graphics quality
The game is not loading on your computer, or the graphics quality is very low. That may be because you do not have sufficient RAM to play it, or the graphics card installed in your computer may be of a lower version, which is not adequate for it.
Therefore, it is recommended that you update your graphic card or install more RAM on your computer. The higher the RAM, the better will be the gaming experience, as it will allow you to play as many games as you want without facing any problems.
Some players have reported that the game runs slowly, even on a high-performance computer. It is because their Internet speed is too low or unstable.
To solve this problem permanently, ensure that you have a good internet connection. And have configured your firewall properly so that it does not block any ports or IP addresses used by the game server.
If your speed remains slow after doing all these things, then it means there is some other problem related to hardware or software.
Of course, this is why many players cannot play this game. After all, it isn’t easy to play Star Citizen on a computer with low-performance indicators. Therefore, the game creators recommend checking your PC’s performance before you buy Star Citizen.
Also, you need to see your hardware settings to know if your PC fits the game star citizen or not. The main reason is that you might have installed the wrong graphics driver on your computer, which leads to a problem with the game.
Maybe you are running the game on a low-end GPU because we all know that video games require a high-end GPU to run smoothly. If you have set up an inappropriate graphics driver, it may cause this problem.
How to uninstall Star Citizen?
The Star Citizen game launcher is a third-party program that you can use to install and update the game. It allows you to download the game files and run them on your PC without going through the official website.
If you want to uninstall the game for any reason, it is highly recommended that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Save your Custom Files
The first thing you should do is save any custom files from the game, including screenshots, videos captured in-game, flight recorder files, and any custom loadout files. To do this, copy the contents of the \USER folder (C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER) to a safe location on your machine.
Step 2: Copy your Spectrum and RSI accounts to another machine (optional)
If you’ve been active in-game with Star Citizen, you can use your account credentials to log into Spectrum. If you have friends or contacts on your Friends list or access to any organizations you’d like to keep, you reinstall the game. Later on, please take extra caution with this step.
To copy your Spectrum account, browse to \USER\ACCOUNTS (C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER\ACCOUNTS) and copy the contents of all .json files found there.
Step 3: Delete all Game Files
Once all of your custom files and account information have been saved safely, you may now delete all Game Files.
- Go to the installation folder of Star Citizen (usually saved in C:/Programs File).
- If it is saved in another folder, you need to open that folder first to find out its files and folders, but if it is saved in C:/Programs File, go on with these steps:
- Press Windows+R keys together to open the Run box;
- Type %appdata% and press Enter;
- Find the Star Citizen folder, right-click on it and select Delete;
Step 4: Delete the Star Citizen Game Launcher
- Open your Windows Start menu and click on Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs in the Control Panel window.
- In the list of programs, select RSI Launcher and then click on Uninstall/Change at the top of the window.
- A dialogue box will appear asking if you want to remove all files associated with this program from your computer or remove it from the list of installed programs.
- Click Yes if you want to remove all files associated with Star Citizen, and then click OK when prompted by Windows.
Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
Locate the RSI Launcher in the list. Right-click it and choose Uninstall.
Windows 8 and 10:
Navigate to your Windows Start Menu > Settings > System > Apps & features.
Search for RSI Launcher in the list of installed programs.
Now, select it and then click Uninstall.
Mac OS X:
Open Finder and navigate to /Applications/. Locate the RSI Launcher icon and drag it to Trash.
Step 5: Delete Roberts Space Industries
Next up, you need to delete the folder named Roberts Space Industries. That is where most of the game data is stored. You’ll find this folder in C:\ProgramData. It’s hidden by default, so you’ll need to enable hidden files to see it.
- To do this, press Windows+E to open File Explorer.
- Go to View>Options>Change folder and search options.
- In the Folder Options window that opens,
- Go to View and select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Star Citizen Delete User Folder
- Click on “Start,” then on “Run” (or press Win-R) and type “%APPDATA%\Cloud Imperium Games\” (without the quotation marks).
- Delete the file “user.cfg” and the folder “User” in this folder.
- You will have to delete the folder with a similar name as your Star Citizen account. You can find it in C:\ProgramData\Cloud Imperium Games\.
- If you are unable to see it, go to Control Panel->Folder Options->View (tab) and remove the checkmark by “Hide protected operating system files.”
- Then confirm with OK. Now delete this folder, too.
FAQs on how to uninstall star citizen
How do I Uninstall and reinstall Star Citizen?
If you have been having issues with the launcher not installing or updating, this is the first thing to try before contacting support.
- To uninstall Star Citizen, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows Key + R to bring up a Run prompt on your PC. Type %appdata% and hit Enter.
- A list of installed programs will appear. Find and select “Star Citizen” in the list, then click Uninstall/Change at the top of the window.
- A dialog box should appear asking you how you want to remove it. Select Remove, then click Next, and then click Finish to confirm. It will remove Star Citizen from your computer.
To reinstall Star Citizen, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows Key + R to bring up a Run prompt on your PC.
- Type %localappdata% and hit Enter.
Will removing the RSI launcher delete Star Citizen?
Removing the RSI launcher from your system will not delete Star Citizen. The game files are stored in a separate location from the launcher (C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\Live by default) and will remain intact even if you remove the launcher.
You can reinstall Star Citizen without downloading all of the game files again by copying the folder to a new machine and running the repair tool.
How big is Star Citizen Install?
The original Star Citizen install was something in the area of 5GB. As the game has gone on, it’s expanded to over 65GB.
It is one of the big reasons why you should have an SSD. The time it takes to install a game adds up with large sizes like Star Citizen. You will also see faster load times, which is a plus for an MMO.
Conclusion on how to uninstall star citizen
You can uninstall Star Citizen at any time, but it will be good to learn how to do it properly so that you don’t mess up your computer and possibly damage it in the process.
It is also a great way to save money because you won’t have to buy a new installation program if you have already paid for one. The only real downside is that you may need to reinstall the game later because it will no longer work properly.