Today’s digitalization has brought a new era for the education world. In the same way, eLearning has become a new trend among students. And this new trend has given birth to online courses. Students nowadays prefer more virtual classes than physical ones because they can learn each detail related to a particular subject from the very comfort of their couch on their phones, tablets, or laptops. Accordingly, it has brought a new revolution in the way of teaching. Today’s generation prefers audio-video classes to the normal lectures given on blackboards.
Today courses on the geographic information system or GIS are also available on the internet. This field of study has evolved a lot in the last 50 years. Today experts consider geographic information systems to be a branch of science. Likewise, this branch of science is related to creating a framework for organizing and understanding the geographical data and then communicating it with others for further decision-making purposes. Therefore, it is a vast platform that helps in planning out the world.
Benefits of choosing online GIS courses
There are multiple benefits of choosing online GIS courses:
- Avoiding high costs that would have incurred in standard regular offline classes. With little cost or at absolutely free of charge, we can learn all the concepts.
- To avoid the rigid style of learning.
- Also, to avail the opportunity of studying from the comfort of our home.
- To learn at any time and anywhere possible, depending upon our schedule.
- Availability of different types of courses and programs
- Increases the time management skills by creating our schedule to follow up the classes.
- Increases the ability to find a particular learning pattern that suits best for an individual.
Best Online GIS courses available from around the world
Various Universities provide free online GIS courses. Apart from universities, many online platforms also offer these either free of cost or minimal cost. The duration of studies differs from University to University and website to website.
Udemy GIS Courses
Udemy is an e-learning platform that provides a range of different digital courses in various fields. It also provides GIS courses. Udemy has divided the module into three categories or levels: beginner level, intermediate, and advanced level. Upon completing the course, Udemy will provide all these students globally recognized certificates.
- Complete lectures with downloadable study materials are available
- From time to time, Udemy provides assignments
- It covers all the topics that can arise on a particular subject
- Practical based lectures
- Available at affordable prices
- There is no expiry date of the course, and students can complete it depending upon their pace.
LinkedInLearning- GIS on the web
LinkedIn learning offers this course to learn how to use different tools to create Maps for mobile. With the help of this course, trainees can work on other maps like Bing Maps and Google Maps.
- The duration of the course is 2 hours and 8 minutes
- The lectures are provided in details to eliminate any confusion
- The offline version is also available
- Students can download all these study materials free of cost for one month.
Esri- Getting Started with GIS
Esri has brought a fundamental course for all GIS aspirants to help in understanding the basics of the subject. This course is three hours and 30 minutes in duration.
- It is the best option if you are getting started with the subject for the first time.
- Free of cost study materials and lectures are available
- Lectures are designed in a way to cover all the critical points
GIS data formats, design, and quality
The students learn structures, common data types, and other topics in detail in this course. This course is available in the English language and takes four weeks to complete all its modules.
- All these study materials are available in downloadable format
- Lectures are complete in themselves, providing in-depth knowledge of every topic
- Classes are practical with a lot of illustrations on how to use different types of tools
- On successful completion of the course, students earn certificates
These five are only a few among the various courses provided by different platforms. All these courses award certificates that every institution and company globally recognized. Therefore, if anyone is interested in learning geographic information systems, you can do so without getting yourself admitted to a University physically.