Sometimes we feel like the level of sugar in our blood has dropped too low. Because of this, we may tend to feel tired, hungry, sweating. Even we may feel trembling, or we can even turn pale. Because of low blood sugar, and if it happens suddenly, we may even faint. It mainly affects people with diabetes. You may question that what causes low blood sugar?
Effects of medicine, especially if you take too much insulin as a diabetic patient, can cause this. If you skip a meal or fewer carbohydrates in your meal can cause this situation. Even consuming alcohol can be a reason what causes low blood sugar. Even people without diabetes can face this situation. Glucose is the source from where we get our energy from. When the level of glucose level decreases abruptly, this tends to happen.
Without glucose, our body doesn’t work correctly. So, if you notice this situation, you should get your blood sugar back to normal quickly. For this, you have to consume high sugar foods and drinks as early as possible. Without proper treatment, various complications can occur. To prevent this situation, you always have to be careful about your level of sugar.
What Is Low Blood Sugar Level
If we do not get enough sugar or glucose, our blood sugar level gets very low. Doctor call this situation hypoglycemia. But it’s not a disease rather a health problem. Our body needs immense energy to function correctly. Glucose supplies power to all the body parts so that the whole body can work properly. We get glucose from rice, potatoes, bread, milk, etc. Our bloodstream absorbs glucose, and then it goes to the body’s cells and organs.
Special hormone insulin uses this glucose for energy. If we consume more glucose, our body will store it, and later it will turn into fat. We can use it for energy later. Without sufficient glucose, our body cannot perform very well. So now you have got a notion about what causes low blood sugar. Mostly this happens to diabetic patients.
People who are not on any medications can even face this. In that case, their hormone insulin produces a unique system to bind the glucose into energy. If someone experiences a reduction in their sugar level all of a sudden, he/she have something which contains glucose. If you do not become aware of this, then more severe complications can occur. Even a person can die because of this. If your blood sugar drops below 70mg/dl, then this is low blood sugar. If you are careful enough about what causes low blood sugar, you may prevent this situation.
Symptoms Of A Low Blood Sugar
Low blood sugar can affect anyone, but it may vary from person to person. But you will acknowledge how it makes you feel. But your symptoms can change with time. Some signs are widespread. They include
- Feeling tired
- You may feel very dizzy
- Sweating can occur
- You may feel your lips are tingling
- May notice that you are trembling
- You may experience palpitations
- May become very easily annoyed, anxious.
- Turning pale is a very common symptom
- Coordination problem
These are the very common symptoms that more or less we all experience during hypoglycemia. But there are other symptoms you can even notice. Those are
- Weakness can occur.
- You may have blurry vision
- Thou even find difficulty in concentrating
- You may feel confused
- May feel sleepy
- You may collapse or pass out
- Seizures can occur
So, these are the symptoms of what causes low blood sugar. This hypoglycemia can occur even when you are sleeping. Because of this, you can feel tired, or headaches can occur. It may be a common sign of poorly managed diabetes,
Severe Reasons Of What Causes Low Blood Sugar
There are various reasons behind what causes low blood sugar. But some reasons are much valid. They are—
- Sometimes medicines can affect people. Especially if diabetic people take too much insulin. Some medications like sulfonylureas (glibenclamide, gliclazide) and some antiviral drugs that treat hepatitis C. These medicines can increase insulin levels. As an effect, low blood sugar can occur.
- If you skip or delay a meal, then your level of sugar may get low.
- Ito keeps carbs in your daily meal.
- If you exercise way too much, then the glucose of your level may get reduced. As a result, your sugar level may get very low.
- Drinking can be the cause of low blood sugar. If you drink heavily without eating anything, then it’s harmful. It can even block your liver from releasing stored glucose that goes into your bloodstream.
- Some serious liver diseases can cause low blood sugar. Like severe hepatitis or cirrhosis, some kidney disorders. These diseases restrain our bodies from medications. This affects glucose levels and may turn out as low blood pressure.
- If a tumor develops in your pancreas, it may produce too much insulin. So it can be because of low blood sugar.
- Specific adrenal gland and pituitary tumor disorders can create hormone deficiencies. It may be a cause of low blood sugar.
Low Blood Sugar And Diabetes
People who have diabetes 1 are unable to make enough insulin. On the other hand, people who have type 2 diabetes may be less responsive to it. The cells do not get enough energy in both types of diabetes. For this reason, glucose may rise to a dangerous level in the bloodstream. To get out of this situation, you may take insulin or other tablets to lower the level. So, if you don’t take insulin according to your need, then it may drop too low. If you eat much less, then low blood sugar can occur.
What Causes Low Blood Sugar In Children
You may even think adults-only face this situation. Well, some children may face this situation as well. This is called pediatric ketotic hypoglycemia. It involves low blood sugar levels and high blood sugar levels. This combination is known as ketones. But some reasons may be very common. They are-
- It may occur because of a metabolism problem
- Some conditions may lead to excess production of hormones.
- The child may feel tired, dizzy.
- His /her skin may become pale.
- They may feel clumsy.
- Mood swings
After noticing these symptoms in your child, see him/her a doctor.
You can have a seizure because of low blood sugar. This becomes serious if you don’t take proper steps. If someone is having a seizure, you should do the following steps.
- You have to stay with them. If they are hurting themselves, you have to stop it right then. You have to lie them down on something very smooth. Then you have to move them away from the road or anything that is dangerous.
- It will be best if you immediately call for an ambulance.
- When the seizure stops, give them something to eat that is sugary.
If someone experiences low blood sugar more often, then it’s a serious matter. They should see a doctor as early as possible.
- Firstly, your doctor will definitely do a blood test to check blood sugar.
- The doctor will ask questions relating to blood sugar, like the symptoms, sugar level stays, etc.
- The doctor will check the medical history, medication for proper diagnosis.
- They will ask the patient if he /she does any alcohol consumption.
- If the doctor becomes sure that you may have low blood sugar, he will do another thing. He will suggest you fast until you start to have symptoms. Then he will test your blood sugar level at different times. So that he can be sure of this problem.
- If you have reactive low blood sugar, he will do a different test. The doctor calls it a mixed meal tolerance test. To test this, the doctor will push you to make a special drink that tends to raise the sugar level. The doctor will check the sugar level over the next few hours.
Though the diagnosis depends from person to person.
Treatment For Low Blood Sugar
If your blood sugar becomes too low than usual, you should eat some carbs right then. Because it is the key to keep your sugar level right at that moment. As a diabetic patient, then you should always keep carbohydrates snacks in your pocket. Some of the carbohydrates you can keep in your pocket are –
- You should always keep dry fruits with you. They are convenient.
- You may even keep granola bars.
- Pretzels and cookies are handy
- You can even have glucose tablets to increase your blood sugar. But before that, you should take advice from your doctor. It’s a must to check how many grams are in each tablet. It should be 15 to 20 grams of carbohydrates.
- Wait 20 minutes after having a glucose tablet, and then test your blood sugar level. If it doesn’t rise, then take another 15 grams tablet.
- If you don’t have diabetes, then the solution will be different. You have to minimize the ways that are causing you low blood sugar. If your medicine is causing you this, then you should change it.
Prevention From What Causes Low Blood Sugar
- You should have your evenly spaced meals at the right time. It’s beneficial for your health.
- Exercise is essential for every people. It will keep your body very well fit. Check your sugar level before and after your workout. After that, you should consult your doctor if you have to make any changes.
- If you drink alcohol way too much, be moderate and monitor your blood sugar levels.
- You have to know when your medicine is at its peak level.
- Should test your blood sugar now and then according to your doctor’s advice.
- You should always double-check your insulin and the dose of diabetes before taking them. It’s a must.
- If you do not have diabetes, ask for advice from your doctor to adjust anything regarding your exercise and eating habits.
- Try to eat food every two hours later. It will keep your sugar level at a balanced level.
- Maintaining a healthy diet is a plus point. That includes a good portion of protein.carbs ,fiber,vitamin,antioxidants.
- Try not to eat high sugar foods.
In these ways, you can prevent what causes low blood sugar.
Don’t Drive During Low Blood Sugar
You know the reasons what cause low blood sugar. During hypoglycemia, if you are doing any work, don’t do this. You should eat something that will raise your sugar level. Some people often face hypoglycemia while driving. If you have hypoglycemia while driving, stop your car. You should pull off the road. Then you should check your blood sugar right then. After that eat some sugary food. Then again, check your blood sugar. To make sure you don’t again face hypoglycemia, follow some rules. Eat some snacks that contain protein, carbohydrates before you start driving. Always keep some sugary food or glucose tablets inside your car. It’s very beneficial in the time of your need.
If You Pass Out
Low blood sugar may sometimes make you pass out. At that time, you need someone to give you a glucagon shot. Glucagon is a tablet that helps to raise your blood sugar level. If you have severe hypoglycemia, you should always keep glucagon tablets with you. Your family and friends should also be aware of this situation. They should know how to give a glucagon shot.
Last Few Words
From the above discussion, we got to know what causes low blood sugar. It’s one of the common health issues we face, more or less. But there is nothing to worry about this. As a diabetic patient, then you should always be very cautious about your health. Always keep some sugary food near you. Check your blood sugar regularly. Even if you are not a diabetic patient, be conscious about your health. Well, there are various reasons for this. What causes low blood sugar may vary from person to person. But some of the reasons are very common. Acknowledge the causes of low blood sugar, then prevention steps accordingly. Stay healthy and strong.