When it comes to water storage, barrels are a popular option for long-term use. But with so many different options available, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Here are three things to keep in mind when making your decision:
- Size: Water barrels come in a variety of sizes, so it’s important to choose one that will fit your needs.Think about how much water you need to store and choose a size accordingly.
- Color: Water barrels also come in a range of colors, so you can choose one that will complement your home or business. Keep in mind that darker colors will absorb more heat, so if you live in a hot climate, you might want to choose a light-colored barrel.
- Quality: When it comes to water storage, quality is important. Make sure to choose a barrel that is made from high-quality materials and that has been designed for long-term use.
The Best Alternative to a Barrel
If you’re living in an apartment or small home, you may not have the space to store thousands of gallons of water like some people do. That’s where the Alexapure Pro countertop filter comes in – it gives you access to clean, pure water with the convenience of a tap that works just like your kitchen sink.
We have chosen our 15, 30, 55, and 160-gallon water barrels based on several criteria, specifically with the recommended amount of stored water per person in mind.
As preparedness experts recommend, it is necessary to have at least 14 gallons of water stored per person, which provides one gallon of water a day for two weeks.
With this in mind:
- a 15 Gallon Water Barrel provides the minimum amount for one person
- a 30 Gallon Water Barrel provides the minimum for two people
- a 55 Gallon Water Barrel provides the minimum for four people
- and a 160 gallon tank stores the minimum amount for eleven people
- It’s generally accepted that blue containers indicate water, and for the most part, that’s true. However, if you’re storing water in a Emergency Barrel, it’s important to mark it as such so that emergency personnel know not to mistake it for a flammable material in case of a fire or other natural disaster.
- Red containers should be used for gasoline and other fuel.
- The blue barrel’s dark color also restricts light and helps prevent algae growth. Cleaning and sanitizing also helps prevent this.
Quality Makes a Big Difference
Not all water barrels are created equal – when you’re in the market for a water storage container, it’s important to remember that investing in a quality barrel is a wise decision. The best water barrels on the market are manufactured with high-quality materials like prime resin and FDA-approved, high-molecular-weight, high-density polyethylene. They should also be BPA free and feature UV coating to prevent light penetration. By investing in a quality barrel, you’re ensuring that your water will be stored safely and securely.
Tips You Need to Implement
Insulating Barrier: As a reminder, it’s not recommended to store your filled water barrel directly on cement. It’s wise to use an insulating barrier, like wood, between the barrel and cement to prevent accidental absorption of concrete fumes or trapped stagnant odors.
We recommend that you rotate your water regularly, using a drinking water safe hose. This is especially important if you’re not using potable water sources.